The decades around 1400 saw a critical phase in one of the most important building projects in late medieval Hungary – the reconstruction of Kassa’s main parish church of St Elizabeth. Through an examination of the emerging structure and some of its principal furnishings, this talk addresses a series of alterations that were made to the church’s design at this point. Ranging from aspects of the groundplan to the portals and their sculptural programmes, these changes will be related not only to developments in the town lodge but also to shifts in patronal requirements, including new strategies for accommodating the town’s important blood relic and its pilgrims.
Tim Juckes studied history at Oxford University and art history at the Courtauld Institute in London, where he attained his Ph.D. with a thesis on St Elizabeth’s in Kassa: The Parish and Pilgrimage Church of St Elizabeth’s in Košice. Town, Court, and Architecture in Late Medieval Hungary (published 2012). He is now assistant for medieval art at the Department of Art History of Vienna University.