Pasts, Inc. Center for Historical Studies (https://pasts.ceu.edu/) kindly invites you to a zoom roundtable about the future of comparative and transnational history in Europe, with a special focus on comparisons involving East Central Europe. The event is prompted by the publication of the first volume, The Rise of Comparative History, in our new series Perspectives on Comparative and Transnational History in East-Central Europe and Beyond. The discussants are leading scholars from different academic contexts who have been running major research institutions or projects dealing with such comparisons.
Time: 22 June (Tuesday), 16.30 to 18.00 CET. Participation is free, open to anyone and no prior registration is needed.
Hosts: Péter Apor, Constantin Iordachi and Balázs Trencsényi
Invited discussants: Wendy Bracewell (UCL School of Slavonic and East European Studies, London); Ulf Brunnbauer (Leibniz-Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung, University of Regensburg); Diana Mishkova (Center for Advanced Study, Sofia); Joachim von Puttkamer (Imre Kertész Kolleg, Jena); Philipp Ther (Vienna University)
We will be touching on issues such as
- the relationship of comparative perspectives and the framework (and normative implications) of global history;
- funding opportunities for and public resonance of comparative projects;
- comparative history as an educational tool; the entanglements and tensions of comparative historical and anthropological, literary, or sociological methods;
- comparative history and methodological nationalism;
- the relevance of earlier canons of comparative history in current methodological discussions;
- comparative history and digital humanities.
Topic: Perspectives on Comparative and Transnational History
Time: Jun 22, 2021, 04:30 PM Budapest
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 968 2526 8954