ABOUT THE EVENT
Are you a BA/BSc or high school student interested in social issues and love programming too? Challenge yourself at Central European University’s 48-hour online hackathon and use your creativity and coding skills to solve socially important problems.
Who can join? / Teams of 1-3 BA/BSc or high school students from anywhere around the world.
Skills needed / Data analysis and visualization experience with a programming language of your choice (for example: python and matplotlib) + creativity and analytical thinking.
Tasks / We provide a data set at the beginning of the hackathon and you can choose from two challenges:
- Infographic: Find patterns in the data and develop a visualization that tells a story about the data. The best visualizations are selected by a panel of faculty members and PhD students from the Department of Network and Data Science at CEU.
- Prediction: Develop a ML pipeline to solve a data classification task. Participating teams are ranked based on their predictive performance.
- 2 x First place, 2 x runner-up and best high school team. Total 600€ in prizes.
- 3 registrations to the Network Science School held in Vienna in July 2023. Check out the previous year's program here. (Travel and accommodation not included.)
When and where? / The event is fully online, starts at 7 pm CET on Friday, November 11 and lasts 48 hours. Program overview:
- Friday 7 pm: Kickoff (announcement of challenges, overview of the data set)
- Saturday afternoon: Mentor sessions (Discuss your ideas with a member of the Dept. of Network and Data Science.)
- Sunday 7 pm: Submission deadline
- Sunday 8 pm: Announcement of winners
Note that all times are given in Vienna local time (Central European Time). The kickoff and announcement of winners will be streamed live. In case you are in a time zone that makes joining the live stream difficult, we will make recordings available to the participants and post the details of the challenges in writing too.
Details and registration / On Eventbrite at https://bit.ly/3Nh9HHz.
Contact / If you have any questions, email us at SDShackathon@ceu.edu. Registered participants will also be invited to our Slack workspace.
The Hackathon is organized by members of the Department of Network and Data Science at Central European University in Vienna, Austria. As the only Network Science Department in the world, our mission is to carry out research at the forefront of network and data science and to provide related educational programs. Research at the department focuses on projects as diverse as addressing food shortages, understanding socioeconomic inequalities, developing statistical inference methods for complex networks and developing socially explainable AI and many more. To find out more about research at the department visit our webpage.
Do you want to study Data Science and application fields in the Social Sciences or you want to carry out a PhD in Network Science? Check out our BSc/BA or MSc degree programs or our unique PhD Program in Network Science: