On Dec 1st CEU together with Wiener Zeitung and SORA will co-host the first edition of Democracy Day, from 1pm-6:30pm at CEU Campus Quellenstrasse 51, 1100 Vienna.
Top keynote speakers and panelists from media, academia and politics will evaluate the current lack of trust in democratic institutions and ways to strengthen participation.
The event will be held in German with possibility of translation into English.
The panels will be followed by a reception. This event is open to the public. To register, please click here.
1pm - Opening remarks by Carsten Schneider (Vice-Rector CEU), Martin Fleischhacker (Executive Director Wiener Zeitung), Harald Dossi (Parliament Director, Austrian Parliament)
followed by a keynote from Andreas Schedler (CEU Democracy Institute)
2:30pm - Coffee and snack break
3pm-4:45pm Parallel Panel Sessions with CEU students, youth representative of Federation of Austrian Industries, representative of Austrian National Youth Council
- Cities as democratic innovators
- Inequality and distrust - a challenge to democracy
- Youth and trust crisis - Democracy of the next generation
5pm-6:30pm Final Discussion (+ livestream) with
- Sigrid Maurer (Chairman of the Parliamentary Group of the Austrian Green Party)
- Günther Ogris (Executive Director, SORA)
- Barbara Teiber (Head of Union of Private Sector Employees - GPA)
- Moderation: Walter Hämmerle (Editor in Chief, Wiener Zeitung)
6:45pm Networking Cocktail