An interactive webinar in preparation of the REAL DEAL Summit
If you would like to participate, please register here.
We recommend registering at your earliest convenience, as space is limited.
A link to the Webinar will be provided to registered participants.
Academics and researchers, civil society representatives, practitioners and other stakeholders are invited to join in an interactive webinar on deliberative democracy and effective citizen engagement in the context of the European Green Deal. This preparatory meeting will launch the development of the REAL DEAL Protocol, consisting of guidance and a toolkit for meaningful citizens’ participation and deliberation to work towards the objectives of the European Green Deal, and prepare the groundwork for the REAL DEAL Summit to be held in Budapest in June 2024.
The meeting will showcase the REAL DEAL project and its progress, link the project outcomes to EU policy development and European Green Deal targets and milestones, and foster collaboration to scope and shape the Guidance and Toolkit (Protocol) for citizen engagement that is one of the main outcomes of the REAL DEAL Project.
Session 1 (November 15, 10:00-12:00 CET:
REAL DEAL Overview – Stocktaking and orientation towards the June 2024 REAL DEAL Summit
- Snapshot and Q&A on REAL DEAL project research and milestones on deliberative and participatory approaches to the EGD, the Civil Society Forum, and testing and assessing innovative deliberative formats and tools.
Moderator: Stephen Stec, Central European University (CEU)
Speakers and panelists:
- Esther Koopmanschap, Wageningen University and Research (WUR)
- Pia-Johanna Schweizer, Research Institute for Sustainability (RIFS)
- Hilmi Tekoglu, SOLIDAR
- Jochen Krattenmacher, Global Climate Forum
- Thomas Blanchet, Technical University Berlin
- Else Giesbers, WUR
- Rose Heffernan, Women Engaged for a Common Future (WECF)
- Aine Sperrin, Trilateral Research
- Ortwin Renn, RIFS
Session 2 (November 15, 14:00-16:00 CET):
Policy development in the EU – Guidance and toolkit for citizen engagement
- A panel discussion linking the REAL DEAL project outcomes to EU policy development and European Green Deal targets and milestones.
Moderator: Ingeborg Niestroy, RIFS
- Clara Dassonville, SOLIDAR
European Green Deal and Just Transition
- Gaetane Ricard-Nehoul, European Commission
EU policies and actions in deliberative democracy – the EU citizen panels
- Ulrike Liebert, European University Institute
Other initiatives in deliberative democracy in Europe – the Democratic Odyssey
- Angela Pereira, European Commission, JRC
The Competence Centre on Participatory and Deliberative Democracy
- Yves Mathieu, Missions Publiques
Reflections on linking citizen deliberation with planetary boundaries
- Laurence Graff, European Commission, DG CLIMA
European Climate Pact and beyond
Session 3 (November 16, 10:00-12:00 CET):
Scoping the structure and framework for the REAL DEAL Guidance and Toolkit (Protocol)
- A moderated, interactive session aimed at: scoping and outlining elements of the Guidance and Toolkit; setting co-creation milestones; establishing work method.
Moderator: Esther Koopmanschap, WUR
The CEU Democracy Institute is hosting this event in collaboration with Wageningen University and Research, in the context of the REAL DEAL Horizon Project supported by the European Commission.
The REAL DEAL Project aims to advance deliberative democracy by fostering an open dialogue between a diverse array of stakeholders. For more details, visit the Real Deal Project website.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 101037071.